Hopefully we can non gently kick it in to touch next year

It wouldn't be so bad if the £75 covered the scrutineers costs
Confused

10 minutes running time

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #422

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Smile Cowes Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD View Post
I must say well done John 31 Boats
More to come yet !!!

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #423

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

If any team is panicking about getting all of the necessary safety kit together for Cowes/Needles ie: Liferaft, EPIRB, Flares etc etc, try www.liferafts.com. They will hire the lot.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #424
I don't do mornings!!

Measurement Certificates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
So what is a measurement certificate. We have just got ours and the process was a bit of a surprise..... best shared.

For those of us new to powerboat racing.... of which many of us Marathon racers are a measurement certificate is something that thay used to have in the old days. It involves you arranging for a scrutineer to visit your boat to measure the length however it also invloves a full scrutineering (About 1.5hrs) & your boat has to pass all aspects (Number,epirb... all the usual stuff). Please be aware that the scrutineers do this voluntarily so you have to fit in with them, best not left too late.
Once a scrutineer completes & signs off you measurement form you send it to the RYA along with a cheque for £75 who type the info in to the computer, print it out & send it back to you, this bit was pretty quick about 1 week.
So please be aware that the whole process could take up to 2 weeks to get completed assuming that your boat passes first time.
Clearly not required for 2008 or 2009 but gently added to our rules to generate revenue.

Hopefully we can non gently kick it in to touch next year.
It wouldn't be so bad if the £75 covered the scrutineers costs
Just to put the record straight, measurement is not done by just any Scrutineer. They have to be a listed RYA Measurer. There are only 5 active marathon boat Measurers in England: John Iddon, Rob Beakhust, Adam Younger, Glenn Baker and now Guy Child. Only 3 of these can measure canopy/partial canopy boats.

It is a UIM requirement - Rule 501 says: "A boat is not allowed to take part in a local, national or international race without a measurement certificate issued by a national authority made up in the native language and in English according to the official UIM model. It is valid for one year. It can be renewed without remeasuring provided the rules for the relevant class have not been changed."

The term 'measurement' is used not just for the measuring of the dimensions of the boat but also to establish which class/es the boat is eligible for and that they are suitably built for the job. It is not a full scrutineering excercise but advice is given on the specific equipment required for the variety of boats and configurations used in marathon racing.
D~OOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #425
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by D~OOD View Post
There are only 5 active marathon boat Measurers in England: John Iddon, Rob Beakhust, Adam Younger, Glenn Baker and now Guy Child. Only 3 of these can measure canopy/partial canopy boats.

It is not a full scrutineering excercise but advice is given on the specific equipment required for the variety of boats and configurations used in marathon racing.
Two questions:

Which three can do partial canopies?

Scrutineering seemed to be part of "Goinglean's" measurement or was this advisory only?

Thank you!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #426

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Hi Cookee we had Robbie B do ours and it was really helpfull.

Robbie had lots of good ideas that we missed when prepping the boat regarding safety of the crew. A well worth exercise for us!
Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #427

Cookee,

As Gareth says the review was very useful but is a lot more than just advisory

Out of three boats 'measured' 2 were failed & the measurement paperwork was not signed.... we can not get a measurement certificate for the XS or ARPRO at the moment

The sort of things outstanding - crack in screen, no central handrail down front of boat (there is a rope rail down both side but these are not acceptable this year) and about 4 or 5 other small things. Clearly these would be remedied to pass scrutineering at the race but .... I was just letting you know that these have to be fixed to get a measurement certificate.

Without their signature you have to have the boat re-inspected, this all takes time... remember it has to go to the RYA then & get posted back to you

We all leave it to the last minute.....this post is only intended to highlight to racers not to leave it too late and get the boat ready..... also it was a bit embaressing for us to waste scrutineers time..... we honestly thought they just measured the boat & recorded it...... Sorry Rob!
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #428

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Dean is quite correct we had to have Robbie back after the initial inspection to then sign off the measurement cirt as we had to move handles clean up any potential snags in the canopy etc... Get them down as soon as so you have time to rectify anything!
Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #429
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Nuts View Post
Dean is quite correct we had to have Robbie back after the initial inspection to then sign off the measurement cirt as we had to move handles clean up any potential snags in the canopy etc... Get them down as soon as so you have time to rectify anything!
Thanks for all of the advice - sadly we need a boat to measure and it isn't exactly built yet!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #430

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Thanks for all of the advice - sadly we need a boat to measure and it isn't exactly built yet!
Entry cheque not cashed.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #431

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
In true powerboating tradition I'm sure there are a few running a pretty close schedule in making the race!

Good luck
Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #432

Errmmmm, am I losing the plot or is the following wrong in the Marathon rules? Should not the statement "Maximum hull length for all competing craft be 24ft/ 7.32 metres not read Mininum? Sorry to be pedantic but ..........

Also, the quote "Any Boat that took part" etc etc surely allows in the so called "28ft" Phantom? No mention of engines!

3.1 HULL LENGTH - UIM 1200.3.1
The maximum hull length for all competing craft is 24ft / 7.32 meters and the maximum for all is 50ft / 15.20 metres using UIM standard measurement procedure. See Class classifications. A diagram is available from the Organisers for clarification. Grandfather clause: Any boat that took part in the Round Britain 08 or Cowes/Torquay/Cowes08 will be allowed under this 3-year clause until the end of 2011.

ML.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #433
I don't do mornings!!

I think it's called a 'typo', Mike. First spotted in post number 158 back in May!
D~OOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by D~OOD View Post
I think it's called a 'typo', Mike. First spotted in post number 158 back in May!
Missed that one, but then I was always a bit slow being just a Country Boy, but even so, it should have been corrected by now don't you think, not just left as is?
ML.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Missed that one, but then I was always a bit slow being just a Country Boy, but even so, it should have been corrected by now don't you think, not just left as is?
ML.
I reported that, & other typos to Sheila (RYA) back in the Spring Mike.
I was told amendments needed to be corrected at next UIM AGM !!!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #436
BananaShark Member

Following a discussion last night we will not be racing in Cowes - even if we could ignore the measurement issue we would still find it impossible - I have left it as late as we can before pulling out in the hope that we (Kitten) could perform miracles, but there is no way we could be there.

One of the problems is that due to our seamless construction method the boat has to be joined together before taking it out of the moulds to rig it. We have everything we need to rig the boat either here or on the way, but there just isn't enough hours in the day and there is only one Kitten!

I hope we can get it on the water and looking good enough to get to Southampton for the boat show and the Round the Isle of Wight windsurfing challenge, and also make the last race of the year.

Good luck to all of the other crews and we're very sorry we won't be able to give Jon and Nick a race on this occasion as well as some of the bigger boats!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #437

Cowes 2010

Quote:
Following a discussion last night we will not be racing in Cowes - even if we could ignore the measurement issue we would still find it impossible - I have left it as late as we can before pulling out in the hope that we (Kitten) could perform miracles, but there is no way we could be there.

One of the problems is that due to our seamless construction method the boat has to be joined together before taking it out of the moulds to rig it. We have everything we need to rig the boat either here or on the way, but there just isn't enough hours in the day and there is only one Kitten!

I hope we can get it on the water and looking good enough to get to Southampton for the boat show and the Round the Isle of Wight windsurfing challenge, and also make the last race of the year.

Good luck to all of the other crews and we're very sorry we won't be able to give Jon and Nick a race on this occasion as well as some of the bigger boats!
Sorry to hear that Cookee - I was looking forward to seeing your new boat.
I take it that your comments mean you hope to be at the UKOBA Race in September then ?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #438

Cowes 2010

Quote:

Just a thought John, (Cookee), but might you have one of your Bananashark Ribs available, & run in the CPC Race ?
You get to be a competitor in the historic race then !
Just wondered.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #439
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
Sorry to hear that Cookee - I was looking forward to seeing your new boat.
I take it that your comments mean you hope to be at the UKOBA Race in September then ?
Yes the UKOBA race - nothing in the locker I'm afraid - the old raceboats are in Greece racing now!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #440

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Cowes Torquay Cowes Safety Boats

This is a fairly urgent request.

We really need more safety boats for the Cowes Torquay Cowes race, Sunday 29th August to the west of Poole and through to Torquay.

If you can help, and you are based in that area, please email Helen Strickland.

ctc.cowes@gmail.com

Thank You

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote