Boatmad.com

Closed Thread

Old 31-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #281

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

We will be on 45 entries by the end of the week - if the monies come through as promised!!
ML.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #282

Two great visits over the last two days. First with Paul Norris who will be running two large Cruisers as "back up" and "sweep boats" during the race and today's visit to the legendary Cougar company at Warsash. Great to talk to Steve again and also with Peter Dredge and to see and hear their plans for their three entries.
ML.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #283

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

We are trying to get the American marine industry to help us put together some kind of effort.

I posted this on OSO today, hopefully something will happen very soon.

With just 24 months to go, can the American marine industry still put together the right package to win this race?

On behalf of HORBA, I spoke to Brownie and Bobby Saccenti this morning. We all agree we would like to do one last hurrah before we cross that last finish line. Just to be part of one last exciting and challenging project. Brownie and Harry Schoell with their engineering skills, others with their boat building and rigging skills and others with their racing skills built up over many miles of open ocean racing.

So here is what HORBA is looking for. American made products that can be used in creating a two boat team to participate in this race in 2013. At least one major sponsor who would like their name highlighted in the European press for both the buildup and the race itself.

We are wide open to hull brand (deep Vee only allowed) type of engines (probably outboard or diesel) and drives and props. If you are a manufacturer of anything we could use, contact me through HORBA www.historicraceboats.com

Below is the post from Mike Lloyd who is promoting the race. The race will actually start in Cowes, not London.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
We are trying to get the American marine industry to help us put together some kind of effort.

I posted this on OSO today, hopefully something will happen very soon.

With just 24 months to go, can the American marine industry still put together the right package to win this race?

On behalf of HORBA, I spoke to Brownie and Bobby Saccenti this morning. We all agree we would like to do one last hurrah before we cross that last finish line. Just to be part of one last exciting and challenging project. Brownie and Harry Schoell with their engineering skills, others with their boat building and rigging skills and others with their racing skills built up over many miles of open ocean racing.

So here is what HORBA is looking for. American made products that can be used in creating a two boat team to participate in this race in 2013. At least one major sponsor who would like their name highlighted in the European press for both the buildup and the race itself.

We are wide open to hull brand (deep Vee only allowed) type of engines (probably outboard or diesel) and drives and props. If you are a manufacturer of anything we could use, contact me through HORBA www.historicraceboats.com

Below is the post from Mike Lloyd who is promoting the race. The race will actually start in Cowes, not London.
Very exciting Charlie, I am sure that with your contacts you can get something going. The thought of you and Bobby racing in the same boat will put the fear of God into some of the boys taking part.
ML.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #285

Boat make: Nothing fast...

Crikey. Maybe the other top teams should go together and offer these guys a 20 foot RIB with a 50 hp engine just to keep them away from the podium

"If it has tits, tyres or a transom, it will have issues"
Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #286

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFrank View Post
Crikey. Maybe the other top teams should go together and offer these guys a 20 foot RIB with a 50 hp engine just to keep them away from the podium
What makes you think we couldn't be on the podium in a 20 foot RIB with a 50 HP engine???

Old age and treachery, beats youth and enthusiasm every time!!!

Remember last years Around Long Island race......a 1987 31 foot Sonic with twin small blocks and Alpha drives took home the big trophy.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #287

Four new teams have come on board plus new info - see web site - www.cowestomontecarlo.com.
ML.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #288

What can I say about the French! Nice people though. The Spanish showing huge enthusiasm and are prepared to be very helpful indeed in many areas. Meeting the Portuguese in the morning and they are bouncing off the walls before I meet them, great excitement for the race down here in Lisbon - Cascais. They remember it from 1972 so can't wait for it to happen again!!

Just great to find such excitement and enthusiasm for the race outside of the U.K - where there is such negativity from so many people who should know better!! But then do we really care about negativity, the answer of course is no as there is no such word in our dictionary!!
ML.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #289

That was a bit if a full week covering Paris, Madrid and Lisbon in four days.

The trip was very productive and we now have the full permission of the governing bodies of France, Spain and Portugal (the equivalent of the RYA) to proceed with visiting the venues in their countries. Spain and Portugal were particularly helpful offering all the facilities available to them for the race to be successful.

The Portuguese Federation in Lisbon were brilliant. We now have Cascais confirmed as the first stop in Portugal. The Race Teams are going to love it there.

The owners of Cascais Marina and the Portuguese Maritime Police are fully behind the race and are excited about the teams arriving. The race finish line has been pencilled in and is going to be fantastic fun for the Race Teams - and those on the beach are going to love it as well. Just hope the teams will still be awake as they will have just run 300 miles from La Corruna. ML.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #290

Just got some more cheques: I'm making it 47 Teams!

Only spaces left for three (3) more.
Old 14-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #291

Forty-Seven (47) Race Teams have now confirmed their registration and paid their deposits for the Cowes to Monte-Carlo Powerboat Race. The cap is at 50 so only three places left!! After that a reserve listing will be run.

47 is the number we had for the Round Britain race in 2008 and it's been many many years since such a large fleet of race boats have taken part in an offshore race. the CMC is going to be even BIGGER!

It's a shame that some famous/infamous members of the offshore fraternity have decided not to take part as this great race is going to be the highlight of anyones offshore career and the memories will last a lifetime.

But there is a lot of new blood coming out, a whole new generation of offshore racers will be there at the end of the race to boost the Marathon series as happened in RB08.

ML.
Old 14-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #292

Just check out the Marina in Casacis where we will be going in 2013 and give yourself a five minute bit of peace! Also on our web site.
http://www.marina-cascais.com/por/
ML.
Old 20-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #293

With Cookees entry today we are now on 49!! I know there are still at least six potential teams hovering so watch this space. I will not be able to post for a few days as we are off to France first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed we can get the first two Venues confirmed by Friday.

Haven't driven on the "wrong side" of the road for years so these next 300 miles are going to be interesting.

One thing did cross my mind watching the Needles race. Seeing Cinzano struggling over the last lap they would in fact still have had 100 miles to go on the first leg at that speed and as for Fury and the others their first day would have been a disaster.
ML.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
One thing did cross my mind watching the Needles race. Seeing Cinzano struggling over the last lap they would in fact still have had 100 miles to go on the first leg at that speed and as for Fury and the others their first day would have been a disaster.
ML.
Petrolengines....
Old 21-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #295

If you check the results of the various Round Britain races it seems to me that the key is the number of engines you have - three, seems to be the magic number.

My advice to all C-MCs is get three engines !!!!!!!
Old 21-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #296

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Oikari View Post
Petrolengines....
The Ilmors seem bullet proof its all the other stuff that lets us down!
Old 21-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Nuts View Post
The Ilmors seem bullet proof its all the other stuff that lets us down!

Looked at the Phantom 39 when it was for sale and it is a very nice boat.
Also was very close to buy the Ilmor 725 Indy-package but i have worked a lot with diesels so that was my first choice. Good to hear that the engines are OK.
There has been some problems with the Ilmors. The Nigel Hook/SOC/Vector broke engines and drives last year in P1 and decided to go
with derated Class 1- Sterlings, BPM-drives and Latham-steering in the Mystic.

What problems? Small stuff? Drives? Gearboxes? Would be interesting to know.
Old 23-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #298

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

In the context of the marathon rules, what’s the definition of a crash box?
Old 23-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #299

Boat name: B-52
Cruising area: The Solent

Wildlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
Just check out the Marina in Casacis where we will be going in 2013 and give yourself a five minute bit of peace! Also on our web site.
http://www.marina-cascais.com/por/
ML.
Ahhhhh !!! Dolphins ! Not again ?
Old 23-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #300
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scand View Post
In the context of the marathon rules, what’s the definition of a crash box?
Vee has a crash box in his US Phantom - you can't put it into gear whilst the engine is running - I think number 6 drives are the same but someone might put me right. Not sure about the XR's that Nick and Jon have in Swipes, I know they are straight cut gears but I think you can get them into gear with the engine running - you just don't want to!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Closed Thread